I feel sorry for Zardari, Taseer and the man who [oh the horror] runs the Interior Ministry in his ‘advisor’ role, Rehman Malik. They’re trying every trick [apart from imposition of Emergency and taking TV channels off air] that Musharraf and Co. pulled off in 2007 to subdue the very angry Sharif brothers and the lawyers. They even tried sending away Tahira Abdullah [a renown human rights activist] to Adiala Jail. The lawyers and the political workers are going underground [again]. This would be comical, if it wasn’t so goddamn sad. I suggest, if you don’t have to go to work early or can skip out early, to stock up on petrol to fuel your generators for the inevitable electricity breakdowns and batteries for your UPS’ and TV remote controls, and play the following drinking game every day for the upcoming week, inspired by the Guardian’s Oscars drinking game:
1. Drink a shot of tequila every time a high profile leader gets arrested.
2. Drink neat scotch every time Nawaz Sharif says ‘I am saving Pakistan’
3. Drink neat scotch every time Rehman Malik says the words ‘rule of law’.
4. Drink Murree beer every time Salman Taseer appears on TV with his shades. [Optional: watch Salman Taseer on TV with shades on]
5. Drink Indus Breezers every time a political worker is arrested.
6. Drink a shot of dhabay wali chai every time Imran Khan posts up a YouTube video from some ‘unknown location’.
7. Spray some hairspray in the air every time Sherry Rehman comes on TV with a new explanation.
8. Eat some multani halwa every time PM Gilani comes on TV. What he says is inconsequential.
9. Smoke a cigar every time Kayani meets with Zardari or Gilani.
and last but not the least…
10. Drink some more [of anything] when Aitzaz and Kurd get arrested.
Please feel free to add your suggestions.